Thursday, September 13, 2012

1st Ultrasound at 5w6d

I went for my first u/s yesterday at 5w6d. My appointment was originally scheduled for Friday (6w1d) but they had to reschedule because my Dr wouldn't be there. My options were to go really early, yesterday.....or wait until next when we would see more. Of course, I opted for going sooner rather than later in hopes of seeing something and easing my mind. They told me when I decided to come early, the only thing we would see is how many sacs. I consulted with Dr. Google and found out some people see a hb this early and I part of me was hoping to see something other than the sac. I was a big ball of nerves and didn't sleep a wink the night before. Then we saw it, one beautiful sac. I'm really pregnant. Then the Dr kept looking. Nothing else was there. He said it looked like it could be something in the left side of the sac but it's too early to say for certain and there certainly wasn't a chance of detecting a heartbeat this early. Dr. H seemed really pleased with his findings and assured me it was completely normal. He told me there was nothing to worry about, relax, and he would see me back next Friday. That's 10 whole days! While I'm grateful to have made it this far, Dr. Google got the best of me again. I googled 'empty sac' and it has terrified me. After a little further reading and chatting with some ladies who have been in similar situations, I learned that it is more UNLIKELY to see a heartbeat this early than not to see it. Pretty much, detecting something that is just a couple of mm in size is easy to miss and hard to see on these ultrasounds. My mind is a little more at ease but of course I'm going to be a little worried until next Friday. It's crazy what infertility does to you. Always thinking and anticipating the worst. Here's our first glimpse of Baby Thompson! We can't wait to check him out again next week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment